Make a Consumer Complaint

OCL serves as a resource

The Oregon Consumer League (OCL) is a nonprofit research, advocacy and education organization. OCL does not handle consumer complaints, however, we can serve as a resource to connect you with the agencies that do handle consumer complaints. Below are some links to agencies and organizations that you can contact if you need help resolving a complaint with a business or you want to formally report a problem.

File a consumer complaint with the State of Oregon

File a consumer complaint with the Oregon Department of Justice here:

Filing a complaint with the ODJ does not start any legal processes. The Attorney General WILL NOT use your complaint to file legal action on your behalf. If you feel legal action is warranted, you may have to find a private attorney. This complaint will become part of their permanent records and may be released to the business or person about whom you are complaining, members of the public, or other agencies. The complaint is also subject to Oregon’s Public Records Law.

File a consumer complaint with the Federal Government

You can also file a complaint through the federal government’s Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) here:

Filing a complaint with the CFPB has two important results:

  1. The CFPB will forward your complaint to the company and work to get a response. After your complaint is forwarded, the company has 15 days to respond to you and the CFPB. Companies are expected to close all but he most complicated complaints within 60 days. You’ll be able to review the response and give feedback. If the CFPB finds that another agency would be better able to assist, your complaint will be forwarded to that agency.
  2. Filing a complaint with the CFPB helps identify patterns of bad behavior and can help them take appropriate action if a company or industry is taking advantage of many consumers.

File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau

You can file a complaint with the Oregon branch of the Better Business Bureau (BBB) here:

The Better Business Bureau is a private non-profit that helps consumers make informed consumer choices. Filing a complaint with the BBB will inform other consumers about the bad behavior of a particular business so they can avoid similar situations.

Federal Communications Commission complaint process

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) handles a wide range of telecommunications service and billing issues. After you submit a complaint you will be given a tracking number to check on the status. Once all required information has been gathered, the FCC sends your complaint to the service provider and the provider is required to respond in writing to the complaint within 30 days, and must copy you on the response. Note that the FCC states that not all complaints are actionable or constitute a rule violation.  Find more information here:

Federal Trade Commission complaint process

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) protects consumers by stopping unfair, deceptive, or fraudulent practices in the marketplace. They collect complaints about hundreds of issues from data security and deceptive advertising to identity theft and Do Not Call violations, and make them available to law enforcement agencies worldwide for follow-up. Submit a complaint here:

The FTC cannot resolve individual complaints, but it can provide information about what steps to take. The FTC says that complaints can help it and its law enforcement partners detect patterns of fraud and abuse, which may lead to investigations and stopping unfair business practices. Complaints are entered in its secure online database, which is used by many local, state, federal, and international law enforcement agencies.

Food and Drug Administration complaint process

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is responsible for ensuring that foods are safe, wholesome, and correctly labeled. It also oversees medicines, medical devices (from bandages to artificial hearts), blood products, vaccines, cosmetics, veterinary drugs, animal feed, and electronic products that emit radiation (such as microwave ovens and video monitors), ensuring that these products are safe and effective. You can report a problem with a product that the FDA regulates here:

You can also contact your state’s FDA Consumer Complaint Coordinator here:

Please note that the same coordinator may be assigned to several states.

Website by Waterlink Web | connecting your customers with you

OCL logo designed by Design by Goats @